Shore Leadership Program:
The Shore Leadership program offers executives, managers and leaders on Maryland’s Eastern Shore the opportunity to deepen their understanding of the issues and challenges facing our region. Led by a certified master coach, participants are guided through skill building activities and conversation to foster collaboration and problem solving. A measureable impact on the expansion of personal and professional networks among the class participants is an inevitable outcome.
Programs are uniquely placed in one of the nine Shore counties to explore a particular theme and connect that theme to the leadership challenges.
Sample Program Themes and Locations have included:
- Legacy in Dorchester County A look at how cultural history impacts the shape, success and challenges of civic and business operations in the City of Cambridge.
- Economic Development in Somerset and Worcester County Explore the dramatic influence of the Wallops Island Space Center on the surrounding region and consider the strategic effort in cultivating and leveraging economic success.
- Agriculture in Caroline County Consider how land use and farming are integral to the Shore’s business operation, and farming’s impact and partnership in achieving environmental improvements in land and water quality.
- Education in Queen Anne’s County Understand the local education systems and how leaders respond to changing state and federal standards for public education programs to meet the needs of the 21st century workplace.
- Environment in Talbot County Visit the Poplar Island restoration project to study the costs involved with environmental wildlife restoration and its impact to natural resource management.
Shore Leadership program themes and locations have also included Health Care, Government, Community & the Arts. Class sessions are in a variety of settings within each of the Shore Counties- from Kent County in the north to the lower shores of Wicomico.
The schedule for each Class is dynamic from year to year because it is shaped by the experience and suggestions of previous class participants, and the evolving issues within the region. What is predictable is the diversity of experience and professional backgrounds that makeup each class and the predictable, steady guidance of the facilitator in accentuating the reflections of the class within the Shore Leadership experience.